Finding Home

Finding Home
My shoes wait in the sand. They wait for me. Wondering where to next?

Saturday 28 April 2012

Rain Warning : Stay at Home!


The rains came down and the floods came up, and the house on the rock still stood.


I am sitting in the passenger seat of Genevieve’s car looking out at a grey stormy blur as I write this. The rain is so heavy you can barely see out the window. The window wipers, to no avail, try desperately to keep up. I love watching it when it’s like this; it lulls the heart into a state of peace. Drop after drop makes for a noisy background band. Just breathe, take it all in- How Great Thou Art.
G and I are not deterred by a little torrential downpour – are you kidding, we embrace it. I am sporting the new black sandals that she bought me, and she is sporting hers– without saying any words, we make a stand. We aren’t scared of a little bit of water. Do your worst.  A sisterly sleepover at her house is just what the weatherman ordered for days such as this. G takes care of me, complete with snacks in bed and DVD’s (she doesn’t kick you out for crumbs either) and I try to take care of her by putting my wiggling cold feet on her warm ones.  I watch her and think “Father, please help her to know her worth- to me and to you.”
CHECKLIST:
One Noah’s Ark flood – check.
One large hazelnut hot chocolate with marshmallows from Gloria Jeans- check
One sister (Has anyone seen our other sister? Please send her back to us we miss her) - check


G and I are quiet in the car now – it is not the kind of quiet because you don’t know what to say to each other but instead an existence of being totally comfortable. NO words are all the words necessary. I also think (just between you and me) that we are both still recovering from last night’s “Cotton Eye Joe” ho down. It was somewhat traumatic. They told us that the YSA dance music was usually pretty good …cough (quoting G’s famous line from last night, used multiple times) “maybe you and I have a different concept of that word?” After we got to the dance… the “Cotton Eye Joe” song was blaring from the speakers and line dancing was upon us. Gulp. Line dancing? Double gulp. I stood awkwardly in the middle of the dance floor looking left, looking right and then left again. I felt fear.  Crowds of people were enthusiastically line dancing from every side, working up a sweat.  I was trying to decide if I could give it a go- question mark. It looked intense. Skye, the hip hop group choreographer from my school would not have stood for this if she was here. There would have been a dance off showdown of sorts. One look at my sister’s face told me that joining the line dancers was not going to be an option for us. We made a quick exit to the left.

When you think all hope is lost and Cotton Eye Joe is the playlist – a nice little visit to the DJ to kindly request demand  request Beyonce is on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment