Finding Home

Finding Home
My shoes wait in the sand. They wait for me. Wondering where to next?

Friday 20 April 2012

Sounds of Home

It is 7.22am - I know, no living things should be moving at this time. Everyone knows my morning doesn't officially begin before 10am. That is the law. Anyway, at the hour of 7.22am the sweet chords of guitar playing waft through every room until they reach me, last room, last door, end of the hallway. How can you be mad at that? I am lying in bed staring at the ceiling waiting for someone to ask me what I'm doing ...(Sam and Judy, do you remember that famous line from our "Forever 21" store experience?) Yes, I am "living the dream".
The sounds settle on the house like morning dew. It's beautiful. It's nostalgic. It's childhood.

Every day of my life that I can remember, my Dad sat on a little red plastic chair made for a three year old singing us to "sleep" in our room of crowded bunk beds. My sisters and I yelled like we were at a concert "just one more song!" My Mum would call up from the lounge "Tim, those girls need to go to sleep!" Yea right. My Dad would say "OK, just one more" and five songs later we were laughing at our triumph over Mum trying to be the sleep police. There were a few favorites that were always on the replay "Up on the Roof" by James Taylor was probably played and sung for more hours than we slept during my entire "growing up". This morning I realized I haven't really "grown up", I've just got a lot bigger. This morning I realized I still want "just one more song." So while I'm up already .....

If you can't beat 'em join 'em?


1 comment:

  1. Living the dream. Ha!
    Hope you're enjoying your time with your family! x

    ReplyDelete