Finding Home

Finding Home
My shoes wait in the sand. They wait for me. Wondering where to next?

Saturday 15 October 2011

HOME COOKING - Lamb Curry or Beef Stew?

It turns out I’m not cut out for farm life. Who would have thought?
We never got the dress code memo and so when the lamb squirted it’s “ness” all over my favorite comfy sweatshirt dress and Genevieve’s leg, foot and basically entire lower body (talk about biting the hand that feeds you) we were shocked and then disgusted and then in guffawing fits of hysteria.
Farm life is never dull.
“DOT!!!” “GET A WAY BACK” mum screams at the dog as it hurtles around the paddock nipping at the heels of the darting calves. “GET A WAY BACK” she screams. The dog continues the maniac circling. My eyebrows are raised with alerted anxiety, and my gumboots stay cemented in the muddy squalor- I am frozen in terror….  If that dog doesn’t “GET A WAY BACK” Mum might not let it come anywhere back… ever.
I’m standing there thinking “What on earth is she telling it to do?”
“Get A Way Back”
Translation: Run to the far paddock and round up the calves that have taken off and herd them back.
????? There is logic in farm lingo…. But no one knows what it is yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment